Hawaii Medical College



Transforming Students Into Healthcare Professionals Employers Need

Request More Information

Updated HMC Form
First Name*
Last Name*
Lead Source
Best Time to Call
Enter the Captcha

Hawaii Medical College FAQs


1)      Is HMC Accredited?

·         Hawaii Medical College is fully accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET), a U.S. Department of Education Recognized Agency.

2)      Does HMC accept transfer credits?

·         If any course(s) at the post-secondary education level have been completed, an official transcript along with the corresponding syllabus for the course(s) taken will need to be provided to the Director of Education for review. Please be advised that due to HMC course requirements some courses may not be transferable.

3)      Are there any other transfer credit requirements?

·         Hawaii Medical College may accept courses transferred from regionally or nationally accredited institutions. Only courses passed with 3.0 / B grade or better and taken within the last 5 years will be considered.

·         There is a 50% program residency requirement to complete a program of study at Hawaii Medical College. This means that, although more than 50% of a program may have been completed at another institution, a maximum of 50% of the courses are allowed to be transferred. (50% of courses completed towards a diploma must be Hawaii Medical College courses). *No charges will apply to transfer of credit courses.

4)      Can I Test out of a course?

·         Students who feel that their life experience and/or previous coursework gives them the competency required for a specific course may challenge that course by taking the course final examination. The student must pass with 80% or better. Students may not challenge more than 50% of the total program courses. Students may not challenge the Career Preparation and externship / internship courses.

5)      Does HMC credits transfer to other institutions?

·         Students should be aware that the transfer of courses is controlled by the receiving institution, and therefore cannot be guaranteed by Hawaii Medical College.

·         Students considering transferring to an unaffiliated school have the responsibility to determine whether that school will accept Hawaii Medical College courses. Hawaii Medical College encourages students to make this determination as early as possible. Hawaii Medical College does not imply, promise, or guarantee transferability of its courses to any institution.

6)      What Academic programs are offered by HMC?

·         Clinical Medical Assistant             

·         Healthcare Administration Billing & Coding          

·         Pharmacy Technician     

·         A.A.S Clinical Medical Assistant 

7)      Does HMC have a dress code?

·         For CMA: Scrub set with covered shoes.

·         For HABC: Polo shirt and slacks, kakis, skirt or dress with shoes.

·         For PHT: Polo shirt and kakis with covered shoes.

·         (flip-flops, slippers and jeans are not allowed)


Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

1)      I know I don’t qualify for financial aid. Should I apply anyway?

·         Yes. Many students feel that they don’t qualify for aid, possibly missing out on financial aid opportunities by not applying at all. The FAFSA stands for “Free Application for Federal Student Aid.” It does not hurt to see what you do qualify for. The FAFSA is the main application for both grants and loans. Without the FAFSA, students are not qualified for any financial aid.


2)      Does filling out the FAFSA mean I am required to take out a loan?

·         No. Completing the FAFSA looks at what funding you are eligible for. It is completely up to you if you want to take out loan or not. Importantly, the FAFSA is just to see what you qualify for. This same rule also applies to any grants you qualify for. Though you qualify, you are not required to request for any of it.


3)      Do I have to reapply for financial aid?

·         Because Hawaii Medical College does not run on a traditional university semester schedule, there is a possibility that you may have to reapply. Please check with you financial aid counselor for those details.


4)      My child is taking out a loan. Am I responsible to pay that for them?

·         No. Parents are not responsible for the Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans. Students do not need to have a cosigner on those loans either, even if they are under the age of 18 because the ‘defense of infancy’ does not apply to federal student loans.

·         If a parent is responsible for a loan, it would be the Federal Parent PLUS loan. Not all parents will qualify for the PLUS loan. As mentioned above, generally the student and the student alone are responsible for repaying any and all of your educational loans.


5)      Are there any fees connected to the loans?

·         For the Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan, the current origination fee (application fee) is 1.073%; for Direct Parent PLUS Loans, the origination fee is 4.292%. This percentage will be automatically deducted from the amount that you are going to request for.

·         During the 2014-2015 Academic Year, the interest rate for the Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan is 4.66%; for Direct Parent PLUS Loans, the interest rate is 7.21%.

·         All Interest rates are fixed rates throughout the life of the loan.

6)      Do I have to make loan payments while I am in school?

·         No.  Typically you have a six (6) month grace period from your last day of attendance (regardless if you withdraw, graduate, or get academically dismissed) before you begin any payments for loans.

·         Payments for loans will not be to the school, but to a loan servicer that is randomly assigned to you (Examples of those different loan servicers you can get assigned to are: Navient, FedLoan, Great Lakes, Nelnet, etc.).

7)      Can I use scholarship to pay for school?

·         Yes. If you are awarded any scholarship, please notify your financial aid advisor and the business office to readjust your award and payment plans. This means that if your scholarship covers any out of pocket costs, we can potentially decrease your loan amount.


8)      I am filling out the FAFSA right now, but it’s asking me to pay a fee to submit the application….

·         STOP IMMEDIATELY. Just a reminder what FAFSA stands for: FREE Application for Federal Student Aid. Please make sure that you are on the correct website (www.fafsa.ed.gov) to complete the FAFSA.


9)       Are there any programs that provide student financial assistance to homeschooled children?

·         Homeschooled students are eligible for federal student aid for college if they have "completed a secondary school education in a home school setting that is treated as a home school or private school under State law" (Section 484(d)(3) of the Higher Education Act of 1965). Homeschooled students have not been required to take the GED or take an ability-to-benefit test since the Higher Education Amendments of 1998. High school dropouts must take a GED exam or an ability-to-benefit test, but students who have completed a home schooled secondary education that satisfies the requirements of state law do not. For additional information, see Federal Requirements for Homeschoolers Seeking College Admission and Financial Aid, Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), May 2003.

·         Many private scholarships are open to homeschooled students. Some scholarships, however, require a high school diploma or GED. If a scholarship requires a high school diploma or GED, ask for a clarification or exception before applying. If you encounter resistance, it can help to point out that in 2005 the winner of the Siemens Westinghouse Competition in Math, Science and Technology's $100,000 scholarship was a 16-year-old homeschooled student.

·         There aren't many scholarships specifically targeted at homeschooled students, other than those sponsored by the Home School Foundation.

10)   My parents are divorced. How does this affect my financial aid?

·         An entire section of FinAid (http://www.finaid.org/questions/divorce.phtml) is devoted to the topic of Divorce and Financial Aid. It discusses which parent is responsible for completing the FAFSA, the obligations of non-custodial parents to pay for college, college support agreements, the obligations of step-parents, and the ability of non-custodial parents to take advantage of the various tax benefits for education.


Any questions that are not covered, please inquire with our Admissions Department at 808-237-5140.


Thank you for your interest in Hawaii Medical College!


Copyright © Hawaii Medical College. All Rights Reserved.
facebook twtter